MANILA – Cebu Pacific on Monday said it is investigating an alleged baggage pilferage case involving a female passenger who flew from Hong Kong to Manila on Saturday April 14.
A concerned citizen posted a video of an irate female passenger complaining to airport personnel that some items from her checked-in bag, including an iPad, were missing.
“This is f***g ridiculous. Hindi man lang ninakaw yung mga damit,” the passenger said in the video.
In a statement, Cebu Pacific said the passenger flew via another airline from London to Hong Kong where she retrieved her luggage prior to boarding Cebu Pacific Flight 5J 113 bound to Manila.
“As such, we are coordinating with ground handlers at the Hong Kong International Airport to trace the handling of the passenger’s baggage from the time she arrived in Hong Kong,” Cebu Pacific said.
After checking in for the fight, the baggage was placed inside a Unit Load Device (ULD) and secured aboard the aircraft. Security footage showed that the container arrived in Manila intact and ground personnel loading the baggage on the carousel with the lock still in place, Cebu Pacific said.
“We are in touch with the passenger concerned and shall update her when more details are available,” the statement said.
The video has been viewed more than 2 million times as of Monday, April 16.
In January, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered a nationwide crackdown on baggage thefts. The NAIA contract with ground-handling company MIASCOR was terminated earlier this year due to cases of baggage pilferage.
The company’s Mactan Cebu International Airport contract could face the same fate as GMR Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation (GMCAC) is reportedly terminating its contract with MIASCOR in May.