(KMIT/Meredith) – A video showing a powerful post-surgery moment at the mayo clinic has gone viral. The subject of that video, Jennifer Jones, spoke out about her new lease on life.
“That moment of taking that fresh breath. The first breath of air, for so long, I have not been able to breathe like that,” Jones said.
She admitted there was a lot she doesn’t recall after her transplant surgery last October, but she remembers everything about her first breath with her new lungs.
“At first I was scared and then it was like, ‘oh my goodness, I can breathe and I can still breathe and I’m still taking in all this air’ and it was overwhelming, it was incredible,” Jones added.
11 years ago, she was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis and last June she started tests to see if she would be a candidate for transplant.
By the time she found a match in October, her lung function had declined to just 10%.
Now, she’s able to live a normal life with 93% lung function all thanks to an anonymous person who made the choice to become a donor.
“I wouldn’t be here today without them. It’s not about me, it’s about them and their legacy lives on because I get to live it now and that’s a special thing that I am so proud of and I take these lungs and take this gift as like a child almost that I’ll protect with all my life. Their legacy, but my miracle,” Jones said.
While she doesn’t know if her donor’s family had seen this video, Jones was contacted by many donor families who have and who have found comfort in it.
The video has been viewed on YouTube more than one million times.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)